Thursday 2 June 2011

What Mali baba has to say....





W
riting down the topic of the assignment I had no idea whom I am going to interview, where would I find such a man who falls perfectly into this poverty sketch. Somehow, I felt irritated. Making up the questionnaire was another headache. How many questions about poverty can possibly be asked??
Today, I finally thought of taking the interview of a man, who looked poor to me, our gardener who we call Mali baba. Why I thought of him as poor? Simply because at the age where he should been taken care of by his children and grandchildren and he should be taking rest and healthy food as much as possible, he goes from house to house working in the gardens. He tires himself up and works like a donkey to earn a few currency notes which still leave him and his family unfed and deprived of many basic necessities of life.
Prior to my interview, I took permission from him and sat on a chair beside him while he worked in my garden. His name was Mohammad Maskeen, aged 68. he had worked all through his life as a gardener, at first in a factory and after 21 years of service he retired and started to work independently to earn himself and his family livelihood.
He works a tough routine from 8 in the morning till 2 and is currently earning 6100 rs while working in 5 houses. Mali baba has 3 sons and 4 daughters who are now married. Currently, there are 9 members in the family, 3 of which are children. Mali baba clearly states himself as a poor man. I did a little background questioning and came to know that he wasn’t poor since generations. His father was a well established man. A middle class prosperous man, until his whole land was illegally taken away by some big fish. They had to then migrate to Kakul village from their native land. Today its been 40 years that he is living here.
On question regarding the occupation of his sons, Mali baba suddenly looked even older, “they are mechanics”, said Mali baba, “but their jobs are not permanent. Sometimes they get to earn 1000 rs but that is not very often. Winters specially bring bad luck when there are heavy rains and practically no work for people.” 
He talked about his third son who did a fine job in FA and now is in search of a job. “I have to give him 20 rs daily, if he gets a job my burden will lessen. I want him to do some respectful job unlike his brothers who have to get under the cars and deal with dirt all day. Being mechanic is not good.”
I felt very cruel in myself when I asked him about his expenditure. He took a deep sigh and said that his expenditure goes way beyond his capacity and reaches 12000 to 14000 per month. “A person has to survive in the society and interact with others in their time of need and it all requires money.” His coping strategy was the easiest and most widely used one: loan. Also he acknowledged the people who help him financially from time to time.
In his view, the society is full of exploiters and people don’t let go of a single chance to make money, even the ones who are already living a luxurious life. He narrated a sorry incident where he went to a doctor and he charged him with the usual 500 rs. It cost him 2000 rs all together without medicines and other tests. His whole budget was ruined. “Doctor could have shown some mercy, I am a poor man.”

However when I asked about being felt like a outcast due to poverty, his view were surprisingly positive. “No, I have always been an honest and hardworking man. and I take pride in my poverty although it wasn’t my choice but I am thankful to ALLAH for what he has given me. He people I work for and the people I live in, they all respect me and love me for what I am. I have never felt like being left alone. But of course you cannot set aside all the class differences. Some things are just there.”
I asked about his views regarding the elimination of poverty from society. He expressed his strong views about the educations as poverty eradicator and gave example of his own daughters who did different courses and became nurse and a teacher and are now earning decent living for their families. But on the other hand he clearly said:” poverty cannot be elimination from Pakistan unless there is corruption and oppression in the society. The rich are exploiting the poor and the poverty is increasing. Poor man has no say in this country.”  He talked about the British era and the good governance they had maintained. “The day the British were gone, it was all ruined for the common man”
In the last, I asked him to relate poverty with women. Does he think that women are a cause of poverty as Pakistan has 51% females out of the total population?  His answer was a strict:”Yes” 
“When women don’t work in the family, there is no way a family can cope with the growing expenses. Women have the ability to work and share the burden with men. Only than a family can stabilize and earn itself a decent living. Women should get educated and join different fields. The world is open for both genders. They should not restrict themselves and let themselves become a burden.”

Talking about the worst thing poverty can do a person Mali baba looked displeased. In his view the criminal activities are triggered by poverty and it’s the worst of all the effects. “Poverty arouses all the negative thoughts in a person when he sees the world full of bounties around him and he cannot get hold of even the minimum of it. One feels very frustrated and the only solution left is then theft, burglary and even worst murder or suicide. Those who don’t fear ALLAH and are not content and are not strong mentally usually adopt this path.”

I had no more questions but Mali baba had a lot to tell. Unfortunately I have less space here. The irritation I felt in the beginning slowly turned into sadness. The wrinkled face seemed like a history book, ready to be read. But nobody has enough time to unfold the unspoken stories that live and die each day on the streets of this land. I left Mali baba with a heavy heart. I have documented his story and quoted his words, instead I wish I could do something else to ease his pain. Prayer is my only weapon. May ALLAH bless us all. Amen.






1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete